My Take on Life...

What's going on in my world...

Thursday, September 07, 2006

When in Rome...

Yesterday, we went to Rome to visit my grandmother (my dad's mom). She is in an assisted living home. We took her out to lunch, which is a special treat, because she has diabetes and has to eat "special" food when she eats in the dining area. That being said, she had to stop by the front desk for her insuline shot before we left. Well, that was also the entrance to the dining room, and all the other residents were lining up at the door waiting to get in. SO, as a special treat, we paraded Sam through there to "help" Marney get her shot.

Thirty minutes later (I think they opened the doors and all interest was lost in the "mad rush" of wheelchairs and walkers to get into the dining room), we are out and on our way to Red Lobster. It was so cute - these ladies would just shout - "I want to see him!" so we would have to turn Sam around for them to see... one lady jumped up out of her wheelchair and literally ran up to us. No one else seemed amazed at this, so I didn't ask if we had just witnessed a miraculous recovery and if Sam had some special healing powers!!!!! =) Needless to say, Marney was a superstar and was very proud to show off Sam!!!!!! And Sam decided to show that he now knows how to blow bubbles with his spit!!!! We just call it liquid sugar!!!!

All joking aside, though, it is so sad to see these people like this! I really dislike nursing homes and those types of places - it just reminds me that we are all fated to get old... and I am doing that rather quickly it seems!!!!! And I feel so helpless to help these people - I just feel sorry for them! I can't help it!!!

OK - no looking back - only forward!!!!

Speaking of looking forward...

In my "next life" (I know about heaven and that there really isn't a "next life" but just indulge me here), I want to come back as a man...

Think about it...

Men: Get up, shower (but ONLY if necessary), run a brush through hair (but only if you have a special meeting that day), get dressed (and a lot of times they can even for-go the shirt), brush teeth (please), and head out the door.

Women: Get up, fix man's lunch, shower (not an option if you want manageable hair), put on make-up, dry hair, curl hair, spray hair, try on 10 different outfits to find one that fits and says, "I'm cute, fun, serious and mom" while still stylish, clean up kitchen from man fixing coffee or breakfast, HOPE baby's not crying yet, fix bottles, change baby, feed baby... I could go on...

Men: off to work. Meetings, office pools, work a little, play pranks on co-workers, eat lunch... head home - where dinner's ready, baby's sleeping so you can eat, laundry that was dirty on floor is magically clean and folded - may be even put away, hold baby, play, put to sleep, watch T.V.

Women: Rush to feed baby, fix dinner, play with the dog, play with the baby, blog about stupid stuff (!?), take out the trash, and be presentable when said man gets home! Clean up supper dishes, straighten house, relax for a minute, and off to bed to get up and do it all again!!!!!

Men: mom cleaned, cooked and did laundry. If, for some reason, they ever lived alone, they MAY have become self-sufficient enough to do SOME of this on their own... unless mom comes and cleans, they bring laundry to her, and she sends meals home with them. Then, once married, they, funny enough, forget any semblance of their capabilities of doing any of these things and they are STILL magically done for them...

Women: helped mom clean, cook and do laundry while mom was teaching her how to do these things. Very self-sufficient if ever living alone, and turns into their mom and takes care of the husband and baby's her little boy just the same!!!!!

(I truly believe this is our fate because women are not patient enough to let men get around to doing these things - it takes dirtiness a little longer to bother a man!!!)

*** These do not necessarily reflect me and BJ - he really is great and helpful, and I'm sure he works more than he plays!!!!!!!! =) And I was a spoiled child who didn't learn how to do laundry until college, clean until college, or how to cook till I was married... and that's still up for debate!!!!

Well, whether or not I can come back as a man, I must say that I am still spoiled and it could be A WHOLE LOT WORSE!!!!!!! (My motto these days!!!!) And I must say that I am loving my life more and more these days!!!!!!! It just gets better and better!!!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The grass always seems greener on the other side...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home